02 March 2009

The Road Continues In the USA


Hi Everyone,
A little over a month ago, I started my annual trek across the country from Phoenix to Florida and back.

The trip started in Phoenix as I headed to Florida and to see my youngest son William, his wife Stephanie and their children. It was great to see all of them especially the newest addition to the Blakeslee Clan, Hailey Aliese born in October.

Hailey is a quiet baby and within minutes of coming into the world, had a grin on her face. She continues to grin and coo on a regular basis. Where Hailey is quiet, her "older" brother Bradley is, shall we say, a typical boy. Both children came "fully equipped" with a full head of hair right out of the womb.

Learning to walk and climb at 12 months and now at 14 months, Bradley is a busy toddler. He makes the most expressive faces all day long and seems to like being entertainment for the adults around him. His favorite face, with the prompting of his father, is to do the Incredible Hulk face, with all the huffing & puffing that goes with it. He is tooo cute. The Lord has blessed William and Stephanie with a wonderful family.

Sandwiched between my visits with William's family in the south and Shawn's in the north, I was able to have a short visit with my close friends, Doris Hack, Steve & Elaine Cottrell in Daytona Beach. I met Doris and Elaine at Christian Adventures International Ministries years ago.

You Did What?
Yes, as strange as it might seem for an Arizona boy, I decided to take the Amtrak train from the southern part of Florida to Jacksonville with stop near Daytona Beach. It's not like I don't get enough of trains living in Europe, especially without having a car but it seemed the practical thing to do and I was really surprised at how well it worked.

After using trains all over Europe for the last seven years, it was impossible not to compare. It was economical, pleasant and they ran pretty close to "on-time" for American or Amtrak trains. In fact, next year, I am going to work out my travel plans to include taking Antonella on her first train ride.

Florida: South to North
On to Jacksonville, to my oldest son Shawn and his daughter, Antonella. At 8 1/2 years old, she has turned into quite the little girl. Doing great in second grade, reading at a fourth grade level, she is doing well in school. Active is an understatement. She is her father's daughter.

Thank God for email, webcams and technology. It allows Antonella and I to grow in our relationship even with 2,500 miles of Atlantic Ocean between us. I can see that her Grandma Debbie Glenn has had a Godly woman's influence on Antonella already.

It's a blessing to see my son's doing well overall as they face the same challenges of life and the economy as everyone else today.

Independence & Tulsa
I arrived in Kansas City to visit my close friends Tim & Wendy Vogel and their family. They pastor Independence Four Square Church in Independence, Missouri. From there it was on to Tulsa, Oklahoma for Rhema Bible Training Center's annual Winter Bible Seminar. This year's theme was dedicated to an International Homecoming. Graduates from Rhema's schools worldwide gathered for this first time event. We had nearly 200 graduates from Europe alone make the trek to Tulsa.

American Christian Writers Association, OKC, OK
I left Tulsa a day early to attend an American Christian Writers Association Writer Conference in Oklahoma City. This was my first of many writers conference to come. I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew that I wanted to improve my writings skills and learn more about publishing.

The two day conference "downloaded" a lot of information about all aspects of writing. One of my reasons to attend was to learn how to publish the Kids Prayer Program Curriculum which will be happening in the near future. Plus I believe that The Lord will have me do more writing in a number of areas.

Phoenix
Currently I'm back in Phoenix and will be here for about two more weeks. Today's temperature high reached nearly 90F degrees. At the same time back in Rolandseck, Germany, it reached 46F degrees for a high with rain and snow in the forecast. Honestly, can you blame me for wanting to stay in shorts, t-shirts & flip flops as long as possible?

Even though a return date has not yet been selected, duty calls back in Europe and I'll be back to my other home in less than and month. I predict it is going to be a busy 2009.

Asia
My heart this year is to be able to return to Asia some where plus the normal ministry in Europe. I'm still not clear where in Asia but it seems to be calling again in my heart. It has been January, 2007 since I have been there. Would you be in prayer agreement for where, when and how.

Also, while you are praying for me, include that more doors to open in Europe for the Kids Prayer Program and Healing Meetings.

Miscellaneous Stuff
Again, I am experiencing some formatting problems with this blog so I haven't been as creative as possible with my pictures. I may be making some changes.

Subscribing
Just a few weeks ago, I found out that my automatic subscription service to my blog had been broken and were unable to subscribe. I have no idea how long this has been happening but it is fixed now. Can I recommend that you subscribe? Now that it is fixed, every new posting on this blog will show up as a simple email in your Inbox. I promise no spam.

You can subscribe by scrolling down this page and look on the right hand side column for the subscription box. Follow the simple instructions. Please let me know if you have difficulty.

Enjoy the current pictures of my family below. I know you'll be able to figure out who is who.






Blessings,
Rev. Lawrence Blakeslee
Missionary to Europe & Asia

No comments: