05 December 2007

Leipzig Public School Ministry

First Some Technical Business
Let me apologize for the way some of the pictures I use get displayed in your web browser.

For some technical reason, when I post pictures and captions, I never really know what final position they will be in after I save and post the article. Even when I preview the posting ahead of time, the final result is completely out of my control.

Simple is better in this case, so not much creativity is being applied to the pictures. I think getting them up is better than not having any pictures at all. Thanks for being patient about this.

Now To My Posting…


Leipzig Public School Ministry
This past Sunday I returned from a five day ministry trip to Leipzig, Germany. Leipzig is located in the “old” East Germany about two hours drive south of Berlin, the capital of Germany. Since “The Wall” fell in October, 1989, the East is still in the rebuilding process and you can still see remnants of the Communist era everywhere.

A few weeks ago I was invited by a Leipzig public school teacher to be a guest speaker at her German elementary school. The fourth grade students are learning English. My speaking to them would give them a chance to meet an American and to hear real American English without an accent, something that does not happen very often in Leipzig.

Technology… humm….
I tried to show them some pictures of Arizona on a classroom video projector but as it worked out, it didn’t. The projector was fine but the slide show would not work. So instead I talked about our American Thanksgiving and its origins. As always, the kids were great. They were flexible and we had a good time in each of the classes. One little girl, Susanne, gave me a gift of a little colored beaded thing, she made. I was touched and blessed.

After talking about Thanksgiving, the combined classes of about thirty-plus students took turns asking me various questions about what are my favorite things about Germany and America. It gave me an opportunity to speak about being a missionary and what I was doing in Europe.

Resurrection Power Church / Halle, Germany
At this church, I attended their Wednesday Night Bible Study, the Friday Champions Meeting and Pastor Sammy Egboh’s Saturday afternoon birthday celebration. It was a surprise and an honor to be invited to sit at the head table with Pastor Sammy. The Nigerian’s really know how to celebrate birthdays. He has a heart for the lost, the Faith message and seeing God’s healing power manifested in our daily lives.

TOS Church - Leipzig
After the birthday celebration at the church in Halle, I went to the TOS - Leipzig Church in the City of Leipzig to hear evangelist, Carlos Jimenez. He is originally from Colombia but currently lives in Houston, Texas. In October, this church sponsored Missionary Evangelist David Hogan which I attended. [Ed. Note: Scroll down to read the details of that meeting.]

At this time, I met with Pastor Stefan Haas and was invited to return and do the Kid’s Prayer program for his church there. We are currently working out the dates that this can happen. This church and their affiliates have a tremendous heart for evangelism and outreach to children worldwide. Pastor Hass told me that they have a number of children’s facilities and outreaches they support in South America. I look forward to going back to Leipzig and ministering at his church in the spring of 2008.

Next Up!
Thursday, I am traveling to help at an Ed Cole weekend men’s conference at Power House Church in Zurich, Switzerland. I’ll update you when I get return to Bonn.

Thank you for reading my Blog.

Jesus IS the reason for the Season. Enjoy it with those you love.

All of God’s blessings to all of you,
Rev. Lawrence Blakeslee
Missionary to Europe

No comments: