05 June 2011

Nine Years

On 3 June, I celebrated my ninth year in Europe. I arrived at Bonn/Cologne Airport with luggage and extra baggage that was not shipped over earlier. "My goal" was to be overseas about two or three years. Guess I passed that goal. It's actually kind of amazing when I think of it. "Who wudda thunk it!"

After living nine years in Europe, somethings are easier and somethings are harder. Either way, I am glad that I did it and have no regrets. Yes, there were times that I wished my family was a bit closer. When I left Phoenix my oldest granddaughter was still a baby, now she's 10 1/2 years old. I didn't even have the other two yet that came a little over three years ago and two years ago.

The obvious question is "What's next?". I don't know exactly but my Heavenly Father does. Yes, I have some ideas and plans for the next few years. I am always dreaming or thinking about things. I never lack ideas just sometimes the money to implement them.

Without a doubt there is one over arching thing I have found out while serving God as a missionary. God is faithful. The list is too long to cite the many ways God has provided for me during this time. Yes, there were and are times that I wondered "if & when" but in one way or another, He always either provided, showed me that it wasn't necessary or my timing was off. For now, I'll just keep going forward, listening for direction from the Holy Spirit for His next steps for me.

It's been an adventure and I am pretty sure that it will continue to be so serving The Lord. 

In The Mean Time
As many of you know, Face Book is my quick & easy way to let you know what's been going on in my life and travels. You can "Friend" and find me as "Larry Blakeslee". Since it's been awhile since I've actually posted on my blog I thought I would take the time to catch you up.

Christmas "Turkey"
Not what you think. Actually I had "Christmas Chicken" in Turkey. Someone blessed me with airfare to visit some friends and fellow Americans in Turkey. They pastor a church there. Other than a short stop years ago with the military, this was my first real time in that country.

It was great to get out of the snow and cold in Germany and to wear shorts and t-shirts at least part of my time there. Although it did get "chilly" a few days in Turkey too.

I love history and that kind of stuff. One of the most incredible things I got to do was to spend the entire day touring Ephesus and other historic sites on the drive there. It really makes the Bible in more alive when you know that you are walking where our spiritual forefathers walked and talked. It was amazing. Every Christian should try and go there sometime.

In the pic above it had been sprinkling on and off all day. Then it finally started to really rain when I got in front of the Library of Celsus. It was built in 117 A.D. We all ran for shelter as it began to become a down pour.

Back in Bonn
With my mini vacation complete and refreshed, it was time to get back to my admin project for the ministry. The first quarter of the year was spent updating stuff. Doing some praying, planning and brain storming for the ministry in 2011 and beyond.

Blessings,
Rev. Lawrence Blakeslee
Missionary to Europe and Asia

No comments: