07 April 2009

Back In Bonn

I'm back in Bonn, Germany; arrived uneventfully last Wednesday night.

Spring Has Sprung
I was delighted to find the forecast for rain and snow, predicted a few days before, did not happen. Wearing my down jacket, I wheeled my piled high luggage trolley outside the airport expecting to get hit with a blast of cold air. I didn't. It was breezy, with the ever present German winter overcast and around 53 degrees. Amazing.

The next morning to my surprise, there was not a cloud in the sky, as the sun blasted bright into my apartment as it rose over the small mountain range across the valley.

The next surprise was to see 56 degrees on my outside thermometer. While I was gone, the Bonn and Germany as a whole had one of the hardest winters. Now in contrast, it looks like spring has sprung... just in time. After months of enjoying short sleeve shirts and shorts, I was grateful I didn't have to bundle up just go to the grocery store to restock my empty kitchen. I had been spoiled with mostly great weather while traveling in the U.S. this year.

The Economy
During my time in America, I saw how the entire country was affected by the poor economy. It was evident that everyone has been hit by it. This resulted in an obvious drop in giving to churches and ministries which have slowed or stopped everyone including me. Churches and ministries, large and small were either laying off staff or returning from the mission field. We always look to the Lord as our source. This has never been truer for everyone right now, missionary or not.

Not Unaffected Here
As I rode my bike to the post office today, I saw a couple of businesses closed. Apparently the poor economy has had an impact on Europe too. My return airline ticket to Germany was the cheapest it has ever been in the seven years I've made the trip. Guess this is due to the overall drop in international travel and tourism in both directions. Still not "cheap", the low price couldn't have come at a better time for me.

Where Are We Going?
I think as this economy continues to take its toll on everyone, Christian or not, people are assessing what's important in their lives and their futures. If the future continues to get tougher, hopefully we will all get closer to God. It is an opportunity to find true solace in His Word and prayer. He is the only one that can provide answers to pending questions about what to do and how to do it. This certainly is the case in my life and ministry.

Pray for me. I'll be praying for you.

Blessings,
Rev. Lawrence Blakeslee
Missionary to Europe and Asia

No comments: